Hopperesque

Hopperesque

Friday 25 February 2022

The Way It Is Dealt



          Who am i cutting my throat for this time ? A blonde with sexy eyes and too many door keys ? A girl from Manhattan, Kansas ? I don't know. All i know is that something isn't what it seems and the old tired but always reliable hunch tells me that if the hand is played the way it is dealt the wrong person is going to lose the pot. Is that any of my business ? Well, what is my business ? Do i know ? Did i ever know ? Let's not go into that. You're not human tonight, Marlowe. Maybe i never was or ever will be. Maybe i'm an ectoplasm with a private license. Maybe we all get like this in the cold half-lit world where always the wrong thing happens and never the right.

Raymond Chandler
The Little Sister
1949

image
Andre Kertesz

No comments:

Post a Comment